JEWISH STUDIES MAJOR
I. Required Courses = 12 credit hours
• JDS 103, Introduction to Judaism
• JDS 229, Medieval Judaism
• One course in area of Bible and Talmud
• One course in area of Ethics
• Students must earn a 2.5 (C+) in JDS 103 and a 2.0 (C) or better in each of the three additional required courses.
II. Five JDS electives = 15 credit hours
Five additional Jewish Studies courses, including a 400-level Special Topics seminar that will serve as a “Capstone Seminar.” Relevant courses from other universities – American or International – will be considered on a case by case basic for credit in Jewish Studies. Summer internships will also be considered.
III. Foreign Language Courses 0-20 credit hours
Two years of Hebrew language; or one year of Hebrew language and one year of either French, German, Italian, Arabic, Aramaic or Yiddish. See advisor for waivers of this requirement. If the language requirement is waived because of proven proficiency, the student will be required to take 6 additional credit hours of electives in Jewish Studies.
Total Jewish Studies Credits = 33 – 47 credit hours
JEWISH STUDIES MINOR
18 credits that must include the following:
• JDS 103 Introduction to Judaism
• JDS 229 Medieval Judaism
• 4 other JDS courses or courses from other departments with approved Jewish Studies content (may include 2 Hebrew language courses); as well as relevant courses from other universities – American or International – will also be considered on a case by case basis. Summer internships will also be considered.
• At least 2 courses must be at the 300- or 400-level
For further information, contact the undergraduate Advisor Dr. Marla Segol (firstname.lastname@example.org)